Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 25-The Gift I've Always Longed For


When I was younger I sang in the choir at St. Theresa School. There were several of us included in the group, but it was Beth McWeeney who always stood out. She had a voice like an angel coming down from heaven above. I would listen to Beth and pray, Lord, if you let me sing like Beth, I will be perfectly happy. Apparently God said no because I sound more like a frog than an angel.

I'm not sure why Mrs. Rhodes kept me in the choir. Perhaps she felt sorry for me. Eventually I learned to play the guitar and she allowed me to play on Sundays with our little trio. Beth's singing still outshone my simple strumming and I still longed and prayed for God to miraculously change my voice so I would sound like an angel. God continued to say no.

Mrs. Rhodes got pregnant and eventually quit being our choir teacher. I think it was about that time I either graduated or the choir program dissolved. Either way, I was no longer going to choir practice. But because Beth and I were best friends, I still got to hear her sing on a regular basis and still longed and prayed God would change my froggy voice. God, again, said no.

Now that I'm older there are times I still wish I could sing like an angel. Even my cousin's daughter, Daisy Mallory, was able to make a career out of singing. So, if the genetic DNA is there why did God say no to me? I had to quit asking myself why God was saying no to a melodic voice and asking what did He give me that He didn't give others? Well, my artistic creative ability is something others continue to compliment. So, rather than focus on what God hasn't gifted me in I've started to thank Him for the things He has gifted me in. This has also allowed me to get better in the areas I am gifted in. I spend time fine tuning those talents...even if it's fine tuning with a froggy kind of melodic voice. What can you thank God for today that He has gifted in you?

(the picture is a glass window I bought for $2, added quilt scraps, paint and little creativity to for a great addition to our guest bedroom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment