Thursday, April 7, 2011

Is There Anything Positive About Being a Latch Key Kid?

Today was the first day of my new job. I got kind of sappy thinking about Zoe coming home to an empty house. Well, at least she'll have Annabelle, Napoleon, and Solomon (the later, much to her chagrin). I suppose my mom worked when I was Zoe's age and it all turned out okay. One thing being home alone after school taught me was that if I needed something done right away I was going to have to figure out how to do it by myself.


By the time I was driving there were several things I needed to learn to do by myself. One of them was changing the oil in my car. My brother Matthew was ordered to show me how to change the oil in my car. Matt didn't really want the responsibility so as he stomped out onto the driveway with his tools in tow he sternly advised, “I'm going to show you how to do this once. So, watch carefully because I'm not going to show you again.”


The same held true for changing out my car stereo. He showed me once which wires went where and explained how you didn't want to cross this color with that color. Although I had listened to the oil change lecture, I didn't really pay very good attention to the stereo lecture. So, when I sold my car and wanted my new expensive stereo removed and the old stereo put back in the car before the new buyer got there I was at a stand still. I begged Matt to help. He simply stated, “No. That's too bad you don't remember” as he went off on his merry way. Well, that was no good for me and I only had thirty minutest to figure it out before the new owner arrived. Not wanting to be out smarted by a few measly wires, I set myself to task removing the new stereo. No problem. So far, so good. Now, to replace the large gaping hole in the dash with the previous stereo and see if it would actually work. Surprisingly, it did. I was so proud of myself and finished the job with minutes to spare. I don't know how long the stereo worked for. All I know is it was working when I collected the cash and signed off the title.


Being home alone a few hours a day as a kid afforded me the opportunity to gain confidence when having to try things I would normally rely on adults in my life to do for me. I was also given the opportunity to make decisions, wise or unwise, the choice and responsibility was mine alone to make. Zoe is a smart girl. I'm grateful she has common sense. I'm looking forward to coming home at 5:00 p.m. each day and hearing about the opportunities she was given that day; and the choices she subsequently made regarding them, whether wise or unwise.


Okay, I have to admit, Zoe won't be home every day along after school – Wednesday is horse riding, Thursday is jazz band, and I am home on Fridays.


No comments:

Post a Comment