Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day Twenty-Two of Lent-Angry Birds


This morning I woke up and ran into the kitchen exclaiming to Shoshanah, “Hey, I need your help this is REALLY important!” Shoshanah has a knack for spacial recognition and did really well at Geometry because of it. She's one of those people who can look at a space and tell you if the couch, chair and ottoman will fit without getting a tape measure out. So, I thought surely she can help me with trajectory, right? As a sophomore she'd completed all 4 math credits needed for college and is currently taking AP Physics. I sat down at the table and showed her my problem. Angry Birds. Yep, I'm going to confess it. I downloaded the APP on my Droid the day before and I was stuck on a level. No matter what I did I couldn't get the trajectory down in order to take out all the obstacles in order to set the birds free. (I'm playing the Angry Birds Rio version).


While we were sitting at the table and I was explaining my conundrum to her, Tim walked up wanting to know what on earth was so important. I rambled on entirely to long for him and within the first few seconds I could see by the rolling of his eyes that he didn't think my problem was nearly as important as I did. What is important to me isn't necessarily important to Tim.


This thought was further confirmed as we had lunch with my in-laws and heard about all the uh um, fine quality items my father-in-law found garage saleing this morning. three guitars, a pottery wheel, roof shingles for Annabelle's new dog house, just to name a few. Tim was perplexed that his dad could ever resell any of this stuff in his small space in an antique shop in Prescott. But it looks like people who went through his space found many of these items worthy of their cash. What is important to me isn't necessarily important to others.


On the way home from lunch, my mother-in-law and I stopped at the quilting store. I had gifted her a handmade quilt for Christmas in which she could chose color, style and pattern. She would love to quilt and has one started in her project box, but she admitted that at this time in her life she would rather take those extra few minutes in the day and chat with a neighbor or linger a bit longer at lunch with a friend. She is a people person~I am a task person. We decided since I love to quilt and do tasks I would just make her quilts for her. What is important to some people isn't necessarily important to others.


When we look at others, do we wonder why they spend their time doing this, that, or the other? Do we we watch how others spend their money on certain things we wouldn't waste our cash on and wonder what is up? It's not wrong, just different. What is important to me isn't necessarily important to others.


So, the next time I catch myself thinking about what someone else is doing that I don't necessarily think is important, I want to ask myself what do I do in life that they would think isn't important? For instance, playing Angry Birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment