Friday, March 11, 2011

Day One of Lent-

Lent is typically about giving something up...but for me, it's more about the aspect of discipline. Writing has been a discipline I've needed to gain but fight tooth and nail...grrr. So, for the next 40 days I'm going to write a little blurb about life going to Parochial school. I hope they make you laugh, cry, and bring precious memories back from YOUR childhood.

I'm not sure if the day began like any other day. What possessed me to meander over to the school and see what was going on. I'm not sure I even had a plan I just found myself drawn to pathway that led me there. Where was there? St. Theresa Catholic school. The place where I spent 5 years of my life, more or less. The school had an accordion like gate that closed off the entrance's, but I was skinnier than a praying mantis at nine years old and so I slid between the metal bars with ease. No one was around as I walked the hollowed outdoor walkways. Just for fun I decided to see if any of the doors of the teachers classrooms were unlocked. Bingo, Mrs. Dimas had forgotten to lock her door. Whether it was because she was pregnant and entered that phase of hormonal forgetfulness or simply didn't think it was necessary either way I'll never know. I let myself in feeling like a kid in a candy store with no limits. I was so proud of myself. Look—rows of textbooks and right next to them were the TEACHERS copies with all the answers! I would never had to think about doing my homework again!


How I lugged those massive texts home I have no idea but I placed them in between both of my mattress' of my bed. The following day I saw my teacher talking with some of the other staff. I didn't need to hear what she was telling them as I watched her hands motioning I could guess she was explaining that at least 3 feet of her textbooks had suddenly developed feet and wandered off. The most fascinating part of the equation is ultimately how my mother found out. I still to this day have no idea. I wonder if I jog her memory she'll confess to what ratted me out. Did the janitor see me? Was the lump between my mattress what gave it away when my mom went to change my sheets? Or was she snooping in my room and discovered the books all on her own? I guess that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment