Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day Twelve of Lent-Is Saturday Cleaning Day at Your House, too?

Our family was pretty predictable growing up; we ate out on Friday nights, cleaned house on Saturday and had roast on Sunday. Friday night dinners out usually consisted of eating at Red Devil, That's Italian, or Pancho's. Saturday we all were required to help dust, vacuum, mop, laundry and do yard work until it was done. A couple times a year my mom would have me vacuuming the furniture and anything else she could finagle me into cleaning. Dusting included dusting the legs of the dining room table, the chandelier and the rows and rows of books and nick knacks on our book shelf that spanned the entire wall of the family room-floor to ceiling!


The good thing about cleaning on Saturdays in the summer was that we knew once we were done, the afternoon would be filled with swimming at my grandparents house. They lived in an adult only neighborhood with a community pool. The only down side to the pool was that most of the elderly women who came in the afternoon while we were there had just had their hair done for the week. Considering they wanted their hair to look it's best for Sunday church they always complained about us kids splashing. My thought as a kid was, “why on earth would you go to the pool if you didn't want to get your hair wet?” Nevertheless, my brother and I made sure to keep our distance from the hair-do ladies and all was well in our universe.


Does it seem ironic to you that I craved the structure in my life of cleaning house on Saturday's because it provided stability for me yet I loathed the structure of the hair-do ladies' lives and considered them party pooper's at the pool? I get so frustrated with myself when I discover that I am not being fair to people in life by having expectations that I don't live by myself. I'd love for someone to point these areas out to me when I do them but I get so mad that they're pointing them out~it's a vicious circle in life. Can anyone else relate??

No comments:

Post a Comment