Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day Ten of Lent-The Bunny


My girls and I were painting the other day. Not the walls with rollers kind of painting but the small brushes and canvas kind. Given my love for animals I decided to paint one of our former pets who is now buried in our back yard. Horatio 'Spafford' Wright~ aka, Hairy. He was a satin angora bunny with a ton of spunk and attitude. He lived 2 years longer than his breeds average and got along smashingly with our 90lb chocolate lab and our chocolate point Siamese.


After our painting day was over I posted pictures on FaceBook of our finished products. My mom happened to comment that the painting looked like the bunny she made me get rid of when I was younger. Wait a minute?? I don't remember ever having a bunny that my mom made me get rid of. Instantly I picked up the phone and called her requesting she fill me in on this rabbit mystery. As she relayed the information to me all the memories came flooding back. Ohhh, that rabbit!


What I had told my parents is that my boyfriend had given me the french lop eared rabbit as a gift. It came with everything it needed including a cage, food and a book about rabbits. I even had a box that precious thing had come in that looked like someone had gone to great lengths to wrap with great love. My parents weren't buying the story and promptly made me return the rabbit to whomever supposedly gave it to me.


The real story? My friend Lisa and I were at Thomas Mall~oh that dreaded Mall again. The Pet Pad had just gotten in the most adorable little French lop eared rabbits. You guessed it...I took my hard earned babysitting money and plunked down enough of it for the rabbit, cage, food and book. I can't remember how much it set me back but I'm sure anything purchased from the Pet Pad was an exorbitant amount compared to buying one from a breeder. Once again, I found a cardboard box big enough to put my purchases within and attempted to make it look like UPS had delivered it. I'm pretty sure my artistic skills were lacking in that day and age, so my art work probably looked mighty pathetic.


I don't remember what I did with the rabbit to this day. Perhaps I tried to return it to the Pet Pad with a sob story about how my parents wouldn't let me keep it. I may not have had my artistic skills mastered but drama, now that is a whole other story...for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment