Monday, March 28, 2011

Day Seventeen of Lent-The Good, Bad and the Ugly of Jobs

Polyester uniforms, funky brown visors. No, it wasn't the wardrobe at St. Theresa~those plaid skirts were at least a cotton blend~No, the polyester pants and shirt were the garb required at my very first job: Burger King-whose slogan remains to this day, “Have it Your Way.”

Certainly the designer of those fabulous threads realized they were far from flattering. Far worse was the fact they were dark brown and absorbed the smell from the fryer like a thirsty sponge. I can't remember what my wage was, but I am certain is was not more than minimum wage. But don’t forget the added advantage of one meal a shift at half price. My usual meal was the chicken sandwich, breaded and deep fried, of course with bacon and cheese added-for a little extra protein. Add on an order of onion rings (must stay away from those unhealthy dreaded french fries) and a diet coke (wouldn't want to overdue it in the calorie category) to fill out the meal.

My how things have changed from my first job~27 years later I am once again preparing to enter the workforce. The fast food arena is a little too fast paced for me at my age so I've chosen a job where I still deal with people. And thankfully when it comes to my wardrobe, though mandated as business casual, I get to choose the fabric blends and styles. No chance of a hearse coming through the drive thru now, but most definitely a possibility each of my clients will one day find themselves getting a ride in one.

I will still be dealing with people, but hopefully I will have more maturity and wisdom when dealing with cranky people 27 years ago. But when I think about it, most of us, no matter where we are still just want to "have it our way."



No comments:

Post a Comment